Grilled Jerk Turkey
- 10-12 pound turkey, deboned (or, legs/breasts purchased deboned)
- Jerk Sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup whole peeled garlic
- 2 inches peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup molasses
- Debone turkey; set aside.
- Place onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and purée.
- Add black pepper, cinnamon, thyme, nutmeg, red pepper and brown sugar, and purée.
- Add the cilantro and purée.
- Add the soy sauce, lime juice and molasses, and purée.
- Apply the jerk sauce generously to the turkey. (Set remaining sauce aside.) Marinate turkey for up to 6 hours.
- Light grill and heat to medium-high. Grill turkey, skin side down. Watch closely; the sugars in the molasses and brown sugar will char a little, and that is desired.
- Using tongs, turn turkey over and grill the other side. Reduce heat, cover and cook until a thermometer in the thickest part (breast) reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Warm the remainder of the jerk sauce and serve it alongside the turkey.