Two-Layer At Home Version
Berry Gentilly Lace Cake
- 1 (15.25-16.25 ounce) white cake mix
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- eggs, oil and other ingredients as indicated on mix
- Gentilly icing (recipe follows)
- Orange simple syrup (recipe follows)
- Apricot glaze (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup blackberries
- Whole strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries for garnish
- 8-ounce container cream cheese, room temperature
- 8-ounce container mascarpone cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Orange Simple Syrup
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 3 tablespoons Rouses apricot jam
- Splash of water
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Add almond extract with water. Bake in 2 9-inch cake pans according to package directions.
- Prepare icing, syrup and glaze.
- Icing: Using a heavy-duty mixer, mix the cream cheese and mascarpone together. Add confectioners sugar until fully mixed. Add the whipping cream at low speed. Add almond extract. Whip at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Syrup: In a small bowl, combine water, sugar and orange extract until completely mixed.
- Glaze: Heat jam in a small microwave-safe bowl or ramekin. Stir in water a few drops at a time, to make thin glaze.
Transfer one layer to a plate or cake stand. Drizzle with orange syrup. Cover with a thick layer of icing, and evenly distribute sliced fruit. Place the second layer on top of the first. Drizzle with orange syrup. Pipe or spread remaining icing and garnish with whole strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Use a brush to lightly coat the berries with apricot glaze. Let dry. Refrigerate cake until serving.