Featured in Chef Sally's Kids Cooking Class
- 2 cups Louisiana strawberries
- 4 cups Rouses Louisiana sugar
- 1 box Sure Jell pectin
- 6 (8 ounce) canning jars with lids
1. Wash and dry canning jars
2. Rinse strawberries in cold water
3. Cut off green top from strawberries and cut into quarters.
4. Crush strawberries and slightly pulse so that they are slightly pureed but still a bit chunky.
5. Measure 2 cups of strawberries out with 4 level cups of sugar and place in a bowl. The mixture will be grainy. * Make sure to measure out exactly when canning and freezing because the product will not set up.
6. Take bag of Sure Jell Pectin and ¾ cups of water, put it in a pan and bring to a boil on stove. It will be quick. Let it boil for 1 minute.
7. Remove from heat and pour over strawberry mixture and stir well until blended.
8. Fill your containers but leave about a ½ inch space at the top to allow for expansion during freezing. Cover jars with lid.
9. Let them set up for 24 hours. Place in freezer after the 24-hour period.
10. Keep in freezer until ready to use.
11. When ready to use, take out of the freezer and put in refrigerator, where a jar can store for 3-4 weeks.
Recipe adapted from “Sure Jell Pectin Recipe”