Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Oil or butter for greasing pan
- 1/4 cup butter, cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Dry ingredients
- 1-1/4 cups sifted whole wheat pastry flour, measured after sifting
- 1 cup sifted unbleached white flour, measured after sifting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Wet ingredients
- 3/4 cup butter, slightly softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/4 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil or butter a 9” x 13” rectangular pan.
- Combine all ingredients except nuts, tossing lightly with fingers, until crumbly. Toss in nuts. Set aside as you make the cake batter.
MAKE CAKE BATTER
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, stirring well with a fork. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar, using a handheld or stand mixer, until well-mixed, creamy and a little fluffy, about 5 or 6 minutes. Add vanilla and, one at a time, the eggs. Continue beating another minute after each egg is added. Remove beaters and work with a wooden spoon from here on out.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter-sugar-egg mixture, alternating with the sour cream and/or Greek yogurt, folding in gently but thoroughly with the wooden spoon.
- Transfer half the batter to the prepared baking dish (layer will be somewhat thin). Sprinkle with all the blueberries and half the streusel. Dollop the remaining batter over the blueberries as best you can, then sprinkle remaining streusel over all.
- Bake for 40 minutes, and let cool for 10 to 20 minutes, if you can bear to wait that long. Serve with, of course, hot coffee!
- Makes one 9” x 13” coffee cake, serving 12.