Chef Paul Prudhomme’s
Chicken Big Mamou
“Paul Prudhomme’s recipe for Chicken Big Mamou was included in his first cookbook, Chef Paul Prudhomme’s
Louisiana Kitchen. The sauce has some of the same flavors as a Creole tomato sauce, but without the Worcestershire. It’s simmered for a really long time, which helps the tomatoes develop that deep, rich flavor. The onions and bell pepper are chopped very small, almost minced, so that after they simmer, they almost dissolve into the sauce. Chef Paul used diced chicken, but I think thinly sliced chicken also makes a pretty presentation.”
—Rouses Corporate Chef Marc Ardoin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup very finely chopped onions
- 3/4 cup very finely chopped bell peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Poultry Magic®
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (or thinly sliced)
- Hot cooked rice (preferably converted), pasta or egg noodles
- Heat the olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat until hot. Add the garlic cloves and cook until well browned, about 2 minutes; remove garlic with a slotted spoon and discard.
- In the same oil, sauté the onions over high heat until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bell peppers, bay leaf, 1 tablespoon plus 1½ teaspoons of the Poultry Magic®, the minced garlic and red pepper; stir well.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and the tomato sauce, stirring well. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of the stock; bring mixture to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer 40 minutes, stirring fairly often.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of stock; simmer and stir until sauce reduces to 2-3/4 cups, about 30 minutes more. Remove from heat and, if not being used immediately, allow to cool and refrigerate.
- Melt the remaining 1 stick of butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons Poultry Magic®, stirring well. Add the green onions, parsley, and chicken; sauté about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the reserved sauce and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Discard bay leaf and serve immediately over rice, pasta or egg noodles.