Chocolate Doberge Cake
For the Cake:
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, separated, whites beaten until stiff
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the Filling:
- 2-1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 squares semisweet chocolate
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
For the Frosting:
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 ounces bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Make the cake layers:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line three 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper circles and spray with nonstick baking spray.
- Sift the cake flour into a large bowl, then whisk in the baking soda and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, then add the 3 egg yolks one at a time.
Gradually alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the creamed butter and sugar mixture, then add melted chocolate and mix well by beating for about 3 minutes.
- Fold in the 3 beaten egg whites and the vanilla and almond extract.
- Divide the cake batter among the prepared cake pans and, using a small spatula, spread the batter evenly in each pan.
- Bake the cakes for 45 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through cooking, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle of each comes out clean.
To make the chocolate filling:
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan heat evaporated milk and chocolate until chocolate is melted.
- In a bowl combine sugar and flour. Make a paste by adding the hot milk chocolate mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, to the sugar and flour. When all the hot milk chocolate has been added to the sugar and flour mixture, return the entire mixture to the saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until thick. Add 4 egg yolks all at once and stir rapidly to completely blend. Cook until the filling thickens to the consistency of loose pudding, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, vanilla and almond extract. Let cool, then spread on cake, layering as you go (do not spread on top layer).
To make frosting:
- Combine sugar and evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 6 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and blend in chocolate.
- Add butter and vanilla, and return to medium-low heat, cooking for 2 minutes. Place in refrigerator to cool.
- Beat mixture well, then spread on top and sides of the cake.