¼ pound butter
1 cup onion, chopped
4 eggs, whipped
1½ cup milk
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
5 cups corn
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-high heat until translucent.
- In a large bowl, whisk the following ingredients together: eggs, milk and heavy cream.
- Next, slowly add the cornmeal and sour cream until just combined.
- Gently mix in the sugar, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese, reserving a little cheese to sprinkle on top. Gently mix in the corn.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×9 pan, and cover with foil.
- Place the 9×9 pan inside of a 11×13 dish and add water to the dish until it is filled halfway up the side of the 9×9 pan.
- Carefully place the pan in the preheated oven. Close the door, then lower the heat to 350ºF.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top begins to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly before serving.