3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound chicken livers, finely chopped
1/2 pound pork sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
3/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
5 cups cooked rice
1/2 bunch green onions (white and green parts), chopped
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large, heavy sauté pan or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken livers and sausage. Cook, stirring, until the meat is browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, chili powder, and the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bay leaves, and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the fond (browned bits).
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir thoroughly. Cook until the rice is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and remove and discard the bay leaves. Stir in the green onions and parsley, and serve.