Sean “Poochy” Rivera’s
Ginger Beer Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 can of ginger beer
- 4 ounces pickled ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 pounds of tail-on, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 cup of white cooking wine
- 1 bunch flat-leaf Italian parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice the squashes in half and scrape out seeds. Line a large sheet pan with aluminum foil. Season the spaghetti squash with olive oil, salt and white pepper. Place flesh side down and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, or until fully cooked. Remove from the oven and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Place ginger beer, pickled ginger, ground ginger, salt and white pepper in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until reduced by half.
- Add butter and cream; stir until sauce is thick enough to coat spoon.
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and garlic till translucent. Add thyme and shrimp, and cook until shrimp is firm and cooked through. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Deglaze with white wine; add ginger beer butter to skillet with shrimp and keep warm.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, scrape the strands of squash from the inside of the skin with a large spoon.
- Reheat the spaghetti squash just long enough to heat through, in oven or microwave.
- Place spaghetti squash in serving bowl. Top with shrimp and ginger beer butter mixture, and garnish with parsley.