Mamma’s Homemade Mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Juice of one small lemon
- Oil, usually vegetable oil, about 11/2 to 2 cups
- In a small mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine egg, mustard, sugar, salt (about 1/2 teaspoon), lemon juice and a dash of cayenne pepper at low speed.
- Raise speed to high and slowly drizzle in oil, mixing until mayonnaise thickens to desired consistency. I don’t recommend getting it too thick — not as thick as bought mayonnaise — because I find it will separate more quickly in the icebox. (It is a trial-and-error process that you will soon learn.)
- Taste to see if more salt is needed after mixing, and adjust as needed. This works in a blender or food processor as well, but I find that a Mixmaster yields a better consistency.