Oyster & Cornbread Dressing
Turkey stock: Makes 2 quarts
- 1 cooked turkey carcass (about 4 pounds), meat mostly removed and bones broken into large pieces
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 pan prepared cornbread, finely crumbled
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shucked oysters, cut into thirds
- 1 bunch scallions (green and white parts), coarsely chopped
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- To make the stock: Place the carcass, onions, celery, carrots and bay leaves in a large pot. Add enough water to cover. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours. Strain the stock. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery and bell pepper and cook, stirring for 5 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9- by 12-inch baking dish with vegetable shortening.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients including stock, using your hands or a fork. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover the dish and bake an additional 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crusty. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving.