- 1-1/2 gallons of cold water
- 2 pounds of any combination of poultry carcasses and trimmings
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 large leeks, white and green parts cut in half lengthwise and washed well
- 2 celery stalks, including tops, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole white peppercorns
- 1 whole garlic head, the cloves peeled and crushed
- In a large stockpot bring water with all the other ingredients to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer as the stock reduces, partially covered, for 45 minutes, skimming off any impurities that rise to the top.
- Strain out all the solids, discarding them, and allow the stock to cool. Any stock not to be used immediately will keep in several smaller airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or it can be frozen.