Sweet Potato Casserole
with mini marshmallows
8 large sweet potatoes
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ pound butter, melted
3 large eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the sweet potatoes until they are soft in the center.
- Remove from the oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Peel the sweet poatoes, and place in a mixer bowl with the whip attachment. Whip until smooth.
- Add the brown sugar, butter, egg yolks, vanilla and salt; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to another bowl, and wash the mixer bowl and whip attachment.
- Place the bowl back on the mixer and add the egg whites.
- Using the whip attachment, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the sweet potato mixture, being careful not to overmix and “deflate” the egg whites.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 casserole dish, and add the sweet potato-egg white mixture to the dish.
- Top the casserole with the mini marshmallows.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes have set and are no longer “loose” looking.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.