Marcelle’s Italian Meat Loaf
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1 pound Italian sausage, removed from the casing and crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 3 cups bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine all of the ingredients except the mozzarella in a large mixing bowl. Mix well, but do not overwork. Form the mixture into a large loaf (the size of football) and place it in a large, lightly greased baking pan. Bake for about one hour or until the juices run clear.
- Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for about five minutes more or until the cheese melts.
- Remove it from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with lots of crusty Italian bread and thin spaghetti tossed with olive oil and a goodly amount of minced garlic.