The Coffee Cup Restaurant in Pensacola, Florida, has been serving breakfast for over 70 years. Order the battered and fried French toast, biscuits with tomato gravy, or Nassau Grits with ham or sausage — you won’t be disappointed.
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 cup cooked minced ham or ground sausage
- 1 (8-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked grits
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, fry
bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel.
Reserve about 3 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Sauté onions and bell peppers in drippings,
about 5 minutes or until onions are
translucent. Add ham or sausage and stewed
tomatoes with their juice and cook, stirring
occasionally, until most of the moisture has
evaporated, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in grits until well blended. Season with
salt, pepper and hot sauce. Crumble the
bacon on top and serve.