- 8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and grated
- 1-1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 7 egg whites, whipped until frothy
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 bunch green onions
- Canola or peanut oil, for frying
- Applesauce or sour cream for serving
- Grate the potatoes and onions through a cheese grater or with the grating disk in a food processor.
- After every 2 or 3 potatoes, wrap shreds in cheesecloth that has been folded over twice. Tie corners around the handle of a wooden spoon and twist bundle until water flows out.
- Combine the squeezed and drained grated onion, potato, salt and lemon juice together, and place in a towel over a colander to drain.
- Add weight to the colander to press out any excess liquid. Let it sit for 1 hour, then ring out the mixture to dry it even more.
- Fold the whipped egg whites, cornstarch and green onions into the potato mixture.
- Form latke mix into patties about 4 inches wide and 1 inch thick in the center.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until a shred of potato immediately sizzles when added to pan.
- Pan-fry the latkes in thin, even layers until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with applesauce or sour cream.