Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
This vegetarian chili gets plenty of protein from beans while giving you all the benefits of including more vegetables in your diet.
-Esther, Rouses Dietitian
- 1 tablespoon first olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced to ½ inch squares
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can canned tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and stir often until the onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle, black pepper, and oregano with the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Cook for 5 more minutes, then remove from heat and stir in cilantro.