Honeyed Browned-Butter Pecan Pie
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or 1-1/2 tablespoons bourbon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup browned butter
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup whole pecans
- One 9-inch piecrust, unbaked
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped (optional; and, optionally, flavored with more bourbon)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Blend the eggs, sugar, corn syrup, honey, molasses, vanilla and salt in a food processor until smooth. Add the browned butter and blend. Add the chopped pecans and process with just a few quick pulses. Pour the mixture into the piecrust, and scatter the whole pecans decoratively (or, place them methodically — your choice).
- Bake for 12 minutes. Lower the heat to 325 degrees and bake for another 40 minutes (check to see if the crust is browning too quickly; if it is, cover it carefully with a long, narrow, folded-over piece of foil). Pie should be nicely browned and firm at edges, but still a little liquidy at the center.
- Remove from the oven and let cool thoroughly. Pecan pies should not be eaten hot or warm.